pump keeps running when boiler doing nothing
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
fixitgirl
Labourer
Labourer

pump keeps running when boiler doing nothing

Post by fixitgirl » Thu May 15, 2008 9:14 am

[color=indigo]Could anyone help with his annoying problem. The pump on our system keeps on running well after everything has switched off - usually all day. Currently we are only putting on the hot water. The water does get very hot even though the (new) tank thermostat is set to lowest position. We only put it on for an hour in the morning and an hour at night. I have resorted to switching off pump because it is beginning to annoy me! It carries on doing this pumping thing even when there is not hot water left in the tank.
I should add this was also an regular problem when we were also using the radiators. :?

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Thu May 15, 2008 3:20 pm

Type of boiler, system and controls ?
Does turning the room thermostat down, stop the pump ?

The fault could be a actuator or incorrect wiring, has this just started or has it always been a problem ?

Abit more info will help.

fixitgirl
Labourer
Labourer

Post by fixitgirl » Sun May 18, 2008 6:10 pm

It's a Baxi Solo - about 12/ 13 years old. Pumped heating and gravity hot water. Thermostat on tank (recently replaced as water getting bubbling hot) and digital room thermostat (replaced about 2.5 years ago). Over heat cut out has operated once in last 12 months. Bolier reguarly serviced and has never broken down/ failed. New valve mechanism fitted about 2.5 years ago (not complete valve).
This has been a problem for the last 7/8 months. Have today (Sunday)replaced the old Landis and Gyr wall controller as it started switching on water when it felt like it - even when hot water and ch set to off!
Anything else you need to know?

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1