All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Baffled79
Labourer
Labourer

Pumped HW / Mains cold

by Baffled79 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:59 am

Hi all,
Right. I have a typical vented, fully pumped system for HW / CH at present.
System is in a 3 bed semi.
I am looking to move the HWC from airing cupboard up to the loft to gain space and neatness.
The CWS tank will be raised up on staging but the gap to the HWC will still reduce drastically.
The plan is to add a single impeller pump to the HW only (mainly for the shower).
All cold taps and outlets in the house are Mains fed

My questions are:
1. Can the pump be sited under the bath (on the ground floor), it says to put it as close to the HWC as possible, due to water being pushed, not pulled?
2. Do I need a special pump to work with mixer valves that have a mains cold feed (one pump I looked at said it wasn't suitable)?
3. Will I need to increase HWC and or CWS tank sizes with a pumped system? Currently 120L HWC, and appx 25g CWS. Looking at getting a twin coil HWC for solar in the future anyway.
4. Would the pump need a side draw from the HWC, not sure how you avoid air being sucked in through the vent?

Any advice / recommendations greatly appreciated

Thanks for your help

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:49 pm

Baffled79,
The mix of mains cold and gravity hot at the shower valve is not good and will lead to balancing problems. Suggest you stick with gravity fed hot and put a new pipe down to the shower so you have gravity cold, ie balanced supplies.
end

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:10 am