Puncture Underfloor Heating if Drilling Holes for Carpet Transition bar
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
degga
Labourer
Labourer

Puncture Underfloor Heating if Drilling Holes for Carpet Transition bar

by degga » Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:00 pm

hi
Never had underfloor heating before but my new house has it throughout the down stairs. I assume the pipes run in the screed over the concrete floor?
My question is:
How thick is the screed? Will I be in danger of puncturing the underfloor heating pipes when I drill 1 inch holes for a carpet transition bar that will run between my kitchen and dining room?
You can't get too simple with your answer, I know next to nothing about underfloor heating. One other thing if I may, the underfloor heating has not been used / working for years - is there any dangers in just ignoring it - I mean do they corrode or anything like that?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Puncture Underfloor Heating if Drilling Holes for Carpet Transition bar

by stoneyboy » Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:43 pm

Hi degga,
Suggest you use a snap in type door bar which would enable you to glue the base to the floor and then fit the cover with no drilling. Restarting the UFH may reveal problems - you can only try and see what happens.
Regards S

degga
Labourer
Labourer

by degga » Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:49 pm

Hi Stoneyboy
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I have googled the snap in type bar and it is just what I need. The only thing is I need a length of 2 m and the longest I kind find at the moment is 900mm. Do you know the best place online to look for what I need?
Bye
Degga

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:28 pm

Hi degga,
Search on line for ‘industrial floor door bar’ - you should find something in a ‘national’ site.
Regards S

degga
Labourer
Labourer

by degga » Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:10 am

Hi Stoneyboy
That is a great tip, I'm able to choose from a good selection now.
Many thanks
Degga

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1