DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Purchasing a new Property and no Completion Certificate for Wall Removed

Postby Cathalmf » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:27 pm

Im in the process of buying a property.

There has obviously been a wall removed between the living room and hallway. There is what i assume to be a large RSJ running where the wall was, its been boarded and plastered over so i cannot confirm it is an RSJ.

Solicitor has advised the seller can take out an insurance policy to cover the event that the council try and enforce retrospective work.

But im more concerned with work that I want to do myself. I plan on taking out another wall and if the current RSJ is not up to code then thats another major bit of work that i will need to pay for in order to get my own completion certificate.

Any suggestions on what i should do here?
Rank: Apprentice
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:06 pm

Postby arbco » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:15 pm

Unless the beam installed without permission provides support to the wall/beam you wish to install then there is no reason why a completion certificate cannot be issued.
Rank: Ganger
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:19 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics