Push button cistern loosing water
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
darren09
Labourer
Labourer

Push button cistern loosing water

by darren09 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:37 pm

Hi, our toilet keeps filling itself up for a few seconds every few minutes. We`ve wedged the valve shut to stop it making the noise so we can sleep! and as you can see in the picture the water level drops right down.

I guess it`s leaking somewhere and when the level drops too low it fills itself up. There`s no sign of any leaks outside the toilet and the overflow is internal so it must be leaking into that somehow. Any ideas?

[img]http://i42.tinypic.com/x2pcf5.jpg[/img]

Thanks in advance.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:32 am

"......and the overflow is internal so it must be leaking into that somehow"

Thats your answer actually. Its overflowing so its doing its job. Just adjust the height of the float so that the inlet valve closes before the overflow point is reached. Simples.

Cheers

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:32 pm

Just noticed you said that level "drops right down" which may alter my previous answer. Pic link doesn't work for me so can't see it. What level is the overflow (assuming its adjustable) set to. If its too low then you get exactly the same effect as the float being too high.

Cheers

darren09
Labourer
Labourer

by darren09 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:45 pm

if only it was that simples ;)

You can see from the pic the level has dropped way below the overflow level so it can`t be that.

Problem solved anyway, we got bored waiting for the topic to be approved and dismantled it. Turns out the central collumn is cracked.

Thanks.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:31 pm

"You can see from the pic the level has dropped way below the overflow level so it can`t be that."

Errm no I can't because your link still doesn't work. Sorry to have been wasting my time whilst you were bored.

Cheers

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:24 am