PVC windows wobbly in the frame, causing draughty gaps
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
samlivingstone94
Labourer
Labourer

PVC windows wobbly in the frame, causing draughty gaps

Post by samlivingstone94 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:05 am

Our three (1 big, 2 small) upvc windows in the lounge don't seem to be secure in their fixing so if you give them a bit of a push the whole window has a bit of give and wobbles.
This has caused the sealant around the edge, particularly at the top, to crack. I have re-sealed to have a bit of warmth and keep noise out, but am sure it will crack again before too long.
I was thinking that I could fill the cracks with a tiny bit of expanding foam to both secure the window and then put fresh sealant around this edge to make it look nice. Would that fix the problem or are there any problems this could cause that I am not thinking about.

F1stHomeImprovements
Labourer
Labourer

Re: PVC windows wobbly in the frame, causing draughty gaps

Post by F1stHomeImprovements » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:32 pm

I would be wary of filling the gaps, do you still have the warranty on the windows? When they start to warp at the end of their life, but if they are under 10 years old then they shouldn't be.

The best idea would be to have a local professional come take a look and they will be able to assess the sealant and advise if the whole unit will need replacing or if it can be fixed.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:21 pm