Qualifications
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
andy71
Apprentice
Apprentice

Qualifications

by andy71 » Mon May 07, 2007 4:36 pm

Hi, I am beginning to look to the future as I can see my current job in the chemical industry not lasting much longer. I was thinking about enrolling initially on a Basic Electrical Course (Safety and Principles) followed in the future by C&G 2381 and C&G 2391. Hopefully I'd be able to do these while still in my current job and while picking up experience along the way(maybe doing a few hours with a contractor i know). Would these qualifications and experience enable me to work as an electrician(self employed) if/when the time comes?

Regards

Andy :D

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Mon May 07, 2007 7:24 pm

you can go this way, 2330 is designed for open learning to get NVQ lve 2 after 2 years, but to get full ticket u must reach NVQ lvl 3, one additional year which must be done whilst working in the trade.
There are no short cuts if you want to be fully qualified and want to do proper electrical work, not just 'house-bashing' as domestic work known in the trade, be wary of 'short courses' ok for first principles but make sure you get a recognised cert. at the end, it's a lot of time & money to waste, contact J.I.B. for authorised course list, local colleges only want 'bums-on-seats'. =£££££££££
My basic electrical training took 5 years day release & the old hands said it took them 7 years, so either modern man is sharper or standards lower, don't forget cost of books etc, which most course organisers seem not to provide!
It's a great trade if you make it, & after too many years unappreciated, now begining to pay what sparks knowledge worth,
best wishes & good luck, SPARX

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:13 am