Quarry Tiles For Patio - What Sub Base to Use?
Post your questions and get answers regarding all areas of drives, pathways and patios

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
carlos23
Labourer
Labourer

Quarry Tiles For Patio - What Sub Base to Use?

by carlos23 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:26 pm

Hi

I will be laying a patio using quarry tiles (currently a lawn) and was wondering what needs to go underneath the tiles? For slabs I have read a hardcore, then sand/cement combination would be suitable but does this also apply to quarry tiles? I have read elsewhere that quarry tiles should be laid on concrete but still haven't found a definite answer.

FYI, my soil is a heavy clay type.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Cheers

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

quarry tiles

by welsh brickie » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:21 am

quarry tiles need to be laid on a concrete base,I would lay layer of 75/100mm hardcore and compact it and then 75mm of concrete

carlos23
Labourer
Labourer

by carlos23 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:08 am

Thanks for your reply.

Excuse me if this is a thick question, but what ratio of sand/cement etc would you use for concrete and for mortar to be used to fix tiles to concrete?

Thanks again for your help!

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

quarry tiles

by welsh brickie » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:27 am

for the concrete use aggregate and coarse sand mix 6 to 1 cement
quarry tiles 4 sharp sand to 1 cement .
If you can get the concrete level enough, you can use exterior tile adhesive instead

carlos23
Labourer
Labourer

by carlos23 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:44 am

Thanks for your clear advice Welsh Brickie!

I think I just have two more questions and then I think I'm good to go!....

1. How deep should the layer of mortar to sit the tiles be? I am about to take off the turf that is currently where the patio will be and want to make sure I take it down deep enough and get the exact measurements right. I will be tiling up to the edge of the garage so need to get it accurate!

2. Am I right in thinking the hardcore should be in about 40 - 50 mm diameter pieces? I have a load of hardcore I am breaking down so trying to get the size right.

Thanks again for your great advice I am sure this will be of use to others too as there doesn't seem to much info to be found on how to lay quarry tiles as part of a patio.

Cheers!

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

quarry tiles

by welsh brickie » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:30 pm

you can lay the mortar from 10mm to 50mm thick.The hardcore is fine just compact it well you can hire a compactor from your local hire centre.

carlos23
Labourer
Labourer

by carlos23 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:20 pm

Thanks again for your reply.

Is it just a matter of preference whether to go for a 10mm up to 50mm depth of mortar or is there something I need to check for to decide on what depth to use?

As the area to be covered is quite large - 27m2 - should I embed rebar or mesh or make use of control joints every so often to avoid any risk of the concrete cracking?

Thanks again for your good advice.

Cheers

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

quarry tiles

by welsh brickie » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:11 am

[quote="carlos23"]Thanks again for your reply.

Is it just a matter of preference whether to go for a 10mm up to 50mm depth of mortar or is there something I need to check for to decide on what depth to use?

As the area to be covered is quite large - 27m2 - should I embed rebar or mesh or make use of control joints every so often to avoid any risk of the concrete cracking?

Thanks again for your good advice.
Yes its quite a large area I would use reinforcing mesh,The depth of the mortar is just a guideline you can create your levels with the depth of mortar,10-20mm is ideal.Expansion joints look unsightly,I would let the concrete fully set for a week to see if it cracks,but I dont think they are nessasary in this instance

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:46 pm