Question about mould/damp/condensation
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
scottwhatever
Labourer
Labourer

Question about mould/damp/condensation

by scottwhatever » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:25 pm

Hi, this is my first post. Situation is: I share a flat with a mate of mine. I have a small room which has 2 outer walls which have a vent each in them. Since the cold weather my room gets REALLY cold and have found it's coming in through these vents. One is visible on the inside, the other on the outside and is covered by wallpaper on the inside but you can feel the draught coming through. The head of my bed as been up against this latter one, so my bed at night is freezing. The room has one radiator under the window on the other outer wall. (Hope you're getting the picture). The problem is, I point this out to my landlord and wondered if these can be blocked up so I don't freeze to death. And his response: he can't do that as it would promote black mould and recommended getting a humidifier. Now to me, this didn't really sound like a very rational solution - the room was freezing! I really need some advice on this: does my landlord have a valid argument or should he do something to block these vents?

SPUD1701
Tradesman
Tradesman

by SPUD1701 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:48 pm

Hi

It is strange to have 2 vents in the same room, unless it has been two smaller rooms split into one earlier.

These vents are they high up the wall, if so this is for ventilation, as if the property is older they would have been put in before the newer windows were constructed with vents in the window heads.

Do you have any combustion appliances such as a boiler in the room, gas fire etc, again if you do then unfortunately additional ventilation is usually required for these appliances over and above anything else.

Sometimes lower vents in a wall can be where an old chimney has been blocked off - this is usually to prevent condensation.

You need to have ventilation and it depends you might need what is there.

Hope this helps

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:16 pm