Question concerning re-caulking around shower tray
Fillers, sealants and adhesives for all types of DIY work. Help, advice and information on all aspects of this subject

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
sharon_w139
Labourer
Labourer

Question concerning re-caulking around shower tray

by sharon_w139 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:19 am

Hello everyone,

I live in London and moved into a new flat a few weeks back. In the corner shower in the bathroom I noticed there was a lot of black mold around the shower tray edging (yuk!), so decided to replace the caulking. It was a bit of a job removing the old caulking as there seemed so much of it! Once it was removed I found that the shower tray butted up nicley against the wall along one side but along the other side there was an ever widening gap between wall and side edge of tray which was almost 1cm at the furthest point (I hope you can visualise it?).

My question is how do I caulk around the gap?... should I just completely fill the gap with caulking (which is what it seems the previous owner did) , or is there another option?

I can't afford a tradesman so have to do the job myself. I would like to do the job properly, making sure the seal around the tray will be water tight and will also look clean and tidy.

Your advice here would be much appreciated!

Kind regards

Sharon

GEORGE D
Labourer
Labourer

by GEORGE D » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:33 pm

HI SHARON, TO COVER THE EVER WIDENING GAP ON YOUR TRAY I'D PURCHASE A LENGTH OF PLASTIC "D" MOULD [AVAILIBLE AT WICKS]
AND A GOOD QUALITY SILICON [FOREVER WHITE ]
MITER CUT THE MOULDING TO LENGTH & SILICON AROUND THE TRAY MAKING SURE TO GET PLENTY OF SILICON INTO THE LARGE GAP. PUSH THE MOULDING INTO POSITION ON TOP OF THE SILICON AND SILICON ALONG THE TOP & BOTTOM EDGES OF THE MOULDING AS NEATLY AS YOU CAN. GOOD LUCK
[/u][/i]

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:14 pm

don't confuse caulk with silicone. you need silicone to seal the tray, not caulk.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:42 am