DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Question on a specific term (pre-treatment of substrate)

Postby TranslatorMan » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:09 pm

Dear users,

sorry for intruding, I'm not quite sure whether I'm right here. But I'm kinda desperate ...
I am currently doing a large translation job from German to English (Technical Data Sheets). Usually I'm quite good at finding the right English translations for even the weirdest German construction terms. But with this one I'm lost: "fluatieren".

A quick translation of a German definition of the process:

Neutralisation of mineral plaster/render substrates in order to reduce alkalinity. The effectiveness of "fluates" is based on a reaction of the fluates/flousilicates with the lime coating of lime and cement plasters.
Fluates are non-effective on gypsum and loam plasters. Fluates are used for the prevention of lime efflorescences on new renders or repaired areas as well as to isolate/control (not sure here) water stains.

Is there any English verb that would describe a similar process?

I know this is not a DIY topic in the strictest sense. But I do hope to find some professionals here who might be able to help me.

This discussion might be helpful as well, though there hasn't been a satisfactory answer yet: ... ieren.html

Thank you very much for even reading through this ....

Greetings from Germany
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:03 pm

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics