question on installing 2 x 13A Switch FCU
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
JockeyB
Apprentice
Apprentice

question on installing 2 x 13A Switch FCU

by JockeyB » Tue May 12, 2009 11:51 am

Hello. I've been advised to install two 13A Switch FCU's above a kitchen worktop as currently both fridge & dishwasher are plugged directly into a 2 gang socket. The socket is below worktop level and therefore I wondered if I could keep the appliances plugged in to the socket and run 2.5mm cable from the socket to both FCU's. Is that possible?
Also, I was unsure whether 13A FCUs would be sufficient for these appliances. Do I need to check the current rating on each appliance?

Thanks in advance

UPDATE: 13/05/09: Now know that I can use a 3A FCU for fridge and 13A for dishwasher. Am still interested in opinion regarding plugging appliances into a double gang socket then running the socket to the 2 FCU's. Thank you
Last edited by JockeyB on Wed May 13, 2009 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Tue May 12, 2009 10:18 pm

JockeyB,
There is not sufficient detail in your post for forum members to give a definitive reply, however, why bother with FCUs - sounds like more trouble than it is worth.
end

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Tue May 12, 2009 11:57 pm

You only need Switched FCUs if the appliances are built in (integral) equipment.
If stand alone, which are the type you can pull out from under worktops it is not a requirement.
Don't get me wrong it's handy to have a means of isolation above the work top but only required for built in appliances.
In this case 13amp protection is right and need to be protected seperate.
KB

bd3cc
Foreman
Foreman

by bd3cc » Tue May 12, 2009 11:57 pm

My understanding is that the FCU should contol the outlet.

JockeyB
Apprentice
Apprentice

by JockeyB » Wed May 13, 2009 11:29 am

Thanks all. The new fridge is an integral one. Does that have to be wired directly into 3A FCU or can I plug it in (to an existing double gang socket that's already there, below the worktop) and run cable from socket to FCU? Dishwasher is old (not integral) so I may continue to leave that just plugged in.
The available 2G socket that both could be plugged into is currently fixed directly behind the dishwasher so I was a bit worried about any water potentially leaking into it. Any thoughts on that.
Hope above is enough info
Thank you
Jockey B

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Wed May 13, 2009 11:30 am

[quote]UPDATE: 13/05/09: Now know that I can use a 3A FCU for fridge and 13A for dishwasher. Am still interested in opinion regarding plugging appliances into a double gang socket then running the socket to the 2 FCU's. Thank you

Don't quite know what you trying to get at,
The S/FCU needs to be before the socket outlet, to be used as a means of isolation. So you would need to break in to your power circuit at a convenient/suitable point and add the S/FCU before the socket outlet supplying the appliance .
So you can switch load on/off at S/FCU. This would ideally mean using individual single socket outlets for each appliance.
If you did what I think you are trying to suugest the first S/FCU would isolate both appliances so not really suitable, as each appliance should have seperate isolation, this is only needed for built in appliances.
This work is deemed to be complient to BS7671 and covered by Part P of building regs. Have a look in projects Under Part P: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/partp.htm
KB [/quote]

JockeyB
Apprentice
Apprentice

by JockeyB » Wed May 13, 2009 4:40 pm

Thanks KB. I think I understand what you mean. The ring main has to feed directly into the S/FCU. Could I therefore keep the existing double socket with the non-integral dishwasher plugged in, continue ring from the socket to a 3A S/FCU (for the integral fridge) and continue ring from FCU to next socket?
Thanks

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Thu May 14, 2009 3:39 pm

You could keep the socket there regardless of it being an integral or free standing appliance.
But if it was integral it would need a means of isolation (S/FCU), you still need a socket to plug in to.
But you seem to have got the idea, your S/FCU will have a supply side and a load side.
They supply side will allow you to keep other outlets powered up via that contection. Supply Line and Neutral
The load side will allow you to drop a socket-outlet(spur) from it that can be operated using the S/FCU for your appliance, as long as your fridge plug is rated at correct fuse rating it does not need to be 3amp it can be 13amp S/FCU.
You will also get away with using 1.5 T+E on the spur cable, if you wanted to.
but 2.5 is fine.
Again it is a location that is covered by Part P, even though the work that is being done is considered minor work, you will still need minor work cert and part p approval. It is a legal obligation.
KB

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:57 pm