Question re. planning permission
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
london arsenal
Labourer
Labourer

Question re. planning permission

by london arsenal » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:24 am

Good morning all, complete layman and newbie here, so please excuse my naivety when I ask my question.

To put into simple terms, I applied for planning permission (and was granted with all relevant documentation) with my local council for conversion of a ground floor bedroom into a shower room. As time went on, funds went dry on my side, so whilst having done all the ground work for it (sewer pipe, hot, cold water piping, frosted window, etc), I had to make do with it being an additional bedroom/study, with the intent of completing it into a shower room in the future. I have now received a letter from the council (after a random inspection), that because the intended shower room is now being used as a "living" residence, it does not comply with the council's approved documents.

Therefore I have now been advised to remove the frosted window and replace with a full opening window, so there is a means of escape in case of a fire or remove the joining wall between the intended shower room and the dining room next to (no thank you!). My question to you all please is...can the council enforce this? For example, I am certain the council cannot say to me "Mr X you have a certain amount of time in order for you to do what we have asked or we will request for it to be put back to it's previous state, etc". Meaning if the council pester me to complete these works, can I quite simply say to them, "I will do, when I have money available to do so..". I am guessing if in the future I choose to sell the house, all relevant criteria from the council needs to be met, but as I am now residing in it now, it is up to me as to when I do these works..?

I hope my question makes sense, and apologies for any oversights, like I said, I do not work in planning or building control so am a complete novice. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Kay

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Question re. planning permission

by welsh brickie » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:54 am

yes they can order you to change the window,you applied for the changes and you didnt do it.
You can ask for an extension on the time limit but they will check that you have complied within the period allowed

london arsenal
Labourer
Labourer

by london arsenal » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:10 am

Thanks welsh brickie, my understanding was that there is no time limit to complete the works once started, for example some applications go on for years ...do they not? I can just state that i do not have the money available to me right now, and I will do it when I have the funds...what can the council do?!

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by welsh brickie » Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:45 am

there is a time limit,but im not sure if its 1 year.As enforcing goes I have never seen it go that far exept for one case,He had ignored the planning department and so they took him to court and the judge ordered him to complete the work within a specific period or have to restored it to its original condition by someone else at his expense.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1