Question Regarding Under Felt Plastic Gutter Trays and Damp Proof Membrane
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
EBrant
Labourer
Labourer

Question Regarding Under Felt Plastic Gutter Trays and Damp Proof Membrane

by EBrant » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:55 pm

Hello
Can someone please help me with the following question

I have a house built in the 1950's

The under tile roof felt has deteriorated at the edges and the rain water in falling short of the gutters (as the tiles do not actually quite reach the gutters in any event).

Therefore I want to replace the gutters and also sort out the felt issue under the tiles. I have been told a good option is to strip the tiles back a few courses and insert some plastic sheets (tray I believe they are called) under the felt so the these plastic sheets reach the gutters, then put the tiles back.

Question:
Should I also not insist the roofer puts some new damp proof membrane sheeting either between the felt and plastic sheets (trays) or between the files and felt, say about a meter or so in depth (from the edge of the root tiles back up towards the top of the roof) all the way along. To give the timers (roof in general) extra protection from the elements). If so what is the best/recommended brand of damp proof membrane for this type of job

Thanks All
E Brant

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Question Regarding Under Felt Plastic Gutter Trays and Damp Proof Membrane

by welsh brickie » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:12 am

you need gutter trays or eaves felt support trays as they are correctly called, You don't need to fit any other felt, don't fit any plastic sheeting it will sweat and cause damage to the timbers.

Colin Evans
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Question Regarding Under Felt Plastic Gutter Trays and Damp Proof Membrane

by Colin Evans » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:02 am

Hi
Yes, plastic eaves felt support trays are the answer. Easier to fit than felt too. There are two types, and you want the refurbishment one. I recommend the manthorpe G1281. Not sure if I can post a link, but this is the ideal product - http://www.guttersupplies.co.uk/product ... -1573.aspx
Regards
Colin

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:40 pm