Questionable Wiring in my Upstairs Lighting Ring for Extractor Fan
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
SamIveson
Labourer
Labourer

Questionable Wiring in my Upstairs Lighting Ring for Extractor Fan

by SamIveson » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:33 pm

Hi all,

Firstly, thank you in advance for any help offered!

I am trying to install an extractor fan in the bathroom but am a little puzzled with the existing wiring and I’m hoping someone can offer some advise.

I’ve drawn up a quick sketch of the wiring as I see it. The live and neutral both come straight from the consumer unit into the light switch. The ring live then continues to the next fitting (same switch in this case) and the switches live goes to the light fitting.

Now in the wiring diagrams that I have seen this would happen in a junction box before the switch but no such junction exists.

Now I am confident I can wire up my exrractor fan so that it works but am not entirely sure whether it is an acceptable way of doing it. The second sketch to the right suggests how I believe I could accomplish this. Is this a safe and acceptable way of powering my extractor fan?

Thanks again for your help with this

Sam

Skid Sprocket
Tradesman
Tradesman

Re: Questionable Wiring in my Upstairs Lighting Ring for Extractor Fan

by Skid Sprocket » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:15 pm

I am sure that this type of work is prohibited under part P of the building regulations as a diy job;

"Notifiable work includes new installations, house re-wires, and the installation of new circuits. Notifiable work also includes additions to existing circuits in kitchens, bathrooms, outdoors and in other special locations."

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:17 pm

First of all lighting circuits are not on a ring, and also you must have a fan isolation switch, which your drawing does not show, so the answer to your question has to be, no your drawing is not safe.

SamIveson
Labourer
Labourer

by SamIveson » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:22 pm

Thank you for your reply. I’ll admit that’s not what I was hoping to hear but that’s fair enough. I’ve got to get the sparky in who re did our control box a few months ago anyway to do some remedial work on that so I’ll ask him if he can do this at the same time.

My next question is, is this a typical arrangement for a lighting circuit or will I be looking to have this re-done at some time in the future? If the bathroom is wired like this then it’s a fair bet that the rest of the house is too.

Thanks,

Sam

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:26 pm

There are many ways of "wiring up lights" so long as it is safe and the cables are also safe there is no need to consider a re wire for the sake of it (Unless you have money to spend)

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:42 am