Questions and answers on many aspects of soundproofing areas of your home

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
carl345
Labourer
Labourer

Quiet Floor

Post by carl345 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:26 pm

Hello,

We are currently looking to sound proof our floor against mainly airbourne noise. I've found a product called quiet floor, but its about £15 per square metre which is over my budget of £250 per room. Does anyone know of any similar products or ways that I can get the same level of sound protection for cheaper.

Any advice would be appreicated.

thanks.

DiamondJoe
Labourer
Labourer

Post by DiamondJoe » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:39 pm

A much cheaper way of doing it is to make your own. Seriously - QuietFloor is basically 2 sheets of soundproofing mat with a foam core. What you can do is order some soundproofing mats (Custom Audio do the best UK price at the moment) and then buy some foam underlay - you can get Cloud 9, Duralay or Soft Step from Ebay or Tradeprice.co.uk very cheaply (£25 for 15 sq.m). Then you seal up any gaps in the floorboards with acoustic sealant and tape over them with PVC tape. Then lay down one layer of mats, sealing and taping the seams. Then put down the underlay, then another layer of mats on top. Presto - your own homemade QuietFloor which is a good deal cheaper than the brand name. Now all you do is put your carpet down.

NeuralNet
Labourer
Labourer

Quietfloor alternative

Post by NeuralNet » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:36 am

After seeing bicpro.co.uk I took a look as I had a large loft studio room to sound insulate (approx 49sqm). I used the SBM5 matting from Bicester Products. Its about the same price as quietfloor all in you need to use several layers. I used 2 layers of matting, then underlay, then another layer of matting, then thick carpet.

I don't have a sound metre to test real-world results (but I might check db reduction including the floor at some point. However, the results so far are amazing. When I spoke to Bicester, they said you should see a result of 48-51dB from which is much better than QuietFloor and even QuietFloor+ which is significant more expensive.

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

Help from DIY Doctor!

Post by TheDoctor4 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:56 pm

For up to 5 FREE quotes from trusted, vetted and insured tradesmen in your area visit the DIY Doctor Find a Tradesman page: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find_tradesmen/

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:45 am