Rad pipes and 22mm gas pipe in concrete?
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mdemetri2
Tradesman
Tradesman

Rad pipes and 22mm gas pipe in concrete?

by mdemetri2 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:12 pm

Hi All

Ok, I'm having some plumbing work done by a CORGI registered guy. Basically a combi boiler is being put under the stairs in a cupboard, either side of the staircase (looking at it side on) will be two radiators and rather than having pipes run along the walls I have channelled out the concrete floor to alow for the pipes to be put in them. One chanel will have bot the radiator pipes and 22mm gas pipe from the mains (protected gas pipe / rad pipes to be wrapped in insulation tape).

I am trying to figure out whether to concrete over them (once its all tested) using a fine concrete or just fill with sand then put a floor board down level with the existing floor - more work though.

Many thanks for your help in advance.

PhilC
Labourer
Labourer

by PhilC » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:46 am

I'm fairly sure concrete and copper pipes don't mix. Something to do with a chemical reaction damaging the copper potentially leading to leaks.

When I did a similar thing and buried some copper radiator pipes I was advised to wrap the copper pipe in an barrier tape. I also think that now technically pipes should not be fitted which cannot be replaced and Water Regulation Schedule 2.7 and BS8000 : Part 15, states fittings and pipe should be removable for possible replacement. Although I am not sure from the reference I have whether this just applies to supply pipes rather than installetion pipes in the heating system.

Cheers

P

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:43 pm

As long as the pipes are protected and there's no joints under the floor.

Then it's up to you, whether you concrete or fit a wooden board over. If you go for the wood option, it will be easier to access the pipes if there ever is a leak.

bobplum
Foreman
Foreman

by bobplum » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:50 pm

never a good idea to bury piping but one way
one way would be to put it conduit and use plastic piping and do it so you can remove pipe in the event of problems
how a bout hiding it behind skirting boards

Bay Plumbing
Tradesman
Tradesman

by Bay Plumbing » Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:29 pm

yeah but maybe don't use plastic for Gas guysn girls!!

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:50 am