Radiator Balancing to Improve Efficiency of System
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

madmish
Labourer
Labourer

Radiator Balancing to Improve Efficiency of System

by madmish » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:03 pm

I am trying to improve the efficiency of my central heating but having a few issues.

The radiator in the kitchen (extension) has always been cold at the bottom and just warm at the top (never gets hot). I started looking at how to balance radiators and having played around a little with a couple of the hottest ones the kitchen one is much improved (warm at bottom, hot at top but still big difference in temp between top and bottom). This leads me to think it isn't sludge in the kitchen radiator that is causing that.

I also notice that one of the upstairs radiators is the only one in the house that ever needs bleeding (and is also one of the first to get hot - really hot)

So anyway I turned the heating on to check the pipes to identify the flow and return pipes. In doing this I have discovered that in the lounge and dining room the TRV is fitted on the return valve?!

I was going to go through the process to try and balance the radiators fully as the couple of tweaks I made did improve it but now I am not sure what I am supposed to do with the rads where the TRV is on return valve - or if these are going to have to be swapped over?

Also just as an after question...I also want to replace the old thermostat with a digital one. I have three wires coming into existing unit red and yellow both connected to thermostat and a blue neutral that isn't connected to anything. Is this easy enough to swap out with a digital?