Radiator cold at one end
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Pete radiator
Labourer
Labourer

Radiator cold at one end

by Pete radiator » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:49 pm

Hi can anyone help with this problem, one of my radiators fills with air as soon as the heating is turned off (I can hear it gurgle) it is on the first floor and is the furtherest away from my boiler (oil heating)

I've taken it off and hosed it out but there wasn't much sludge in it. The expansion tank is ok.
It slowly warms up when blead but only from one end, is it something to do with my pump?? any help would be gratefully appreciated.

DEEARR2
Ganger
Ganger

by DEEARR2 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:26 pm

Hi Pete
Your radiators need balanced. This is achieved by contolling the flow through each radiator by adjusting the lockshield valves. That is the valve on the opposite end from the rad from the control valve. The radiator nearest the boiler should have its valve slightly open, enough to allow sufficient flow to heat the rad,then work away from this rad opening each radiator slightly more than the previous one. Finish with the last radiator having its valve fully open. This excersise should help give equal flow rates through all rads. Good Luck.

Pete radiator
Labourer
Labourer

by Pete radiator » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:38 am

Thanks DEEARR2
I'll give that a go tonight, I take it I need to turn the Lockshield valve anticlockwise to open it.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1