All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
dab160
Labourer
Labourer

Radiator cold at top despite repeated bleeding

by dab160 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:15 pm

Hello

I have just replaced a working radiator in our lounge with this one http://www.awin1.com/awclick.php?mid=12 ... 45mm-White installed horizontally.

Having refilled the system I have found that the bottom 3 bars heat up fine but the top 3 are completely cold. I have repeatedly bled the radiator but find that only water comes out.

Having drained the system down and removed the cover plugs I can look straight down the columns on the end and can see that the left hand column has what appears to be a washer half way up with a small hole in the middle to allow the water to pass through to the top half of the radiator, whilst the right hand side seems to be completely sealed. Not knowing anything about interior radiator design I have no idea whether this is correct or not. I don't want to spend any more hours draining down the system and refilling if the radiator is faulty but likewise don't want to return the radiator if there is nothing wrong with it.

Any help would be gratefully accepted.

Thanks

Dave

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:24 pm

You'll only have one bleed valve at the top of the radiator, try cracking open the other side ( probably a chrome blank) to see if there's any air.

How have you hung the radiator ? (like image 2 or 3 on the images in your link ?)

htg

dab160
Labourer
Labourer

by dab160 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:29 pm

Thanks for the reply. I did try taking off the blank and got water out of that side. I also swapped them over and refilled the system and still got water out. I found that if I turn the outlet valve off and then bleed from the far end of the radiator the top panel slowly heats up a little, presumably this is because i am creating a flow. I have it hung horizontally as in picture 3.

Thanks

Dave

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:48 pm