Radiator in 2nd storey extension
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

JasonStonier
Labourer
Labourer

Radiator in 2nd storey extension

by JasonStonier » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:46 pm

Hi there.

I am about to start building a 2nd storey extension on top of an existing single storey extension. The new room will link into the existing upstairs plan of the house.

The new room is to be directly above the existing kitchen, where the boiler is housed.

I'm intending to put a radiator in the new room.

The upstairs central heating is all in micro-bore pipe.

Last year I put an office in the garden and had a spur off the primary central heating line on the boiler run out to it (10metres, in double insulated 15m flex, in an insulated duct, underground), this spur has a separate isolator next to the boiler. Later I added a radiator in the kitchen on the same spur (as it is easy to isolate this spur). All the radiators in the house get nicely warm, including the two new ones so the balance is currently ok.

The question is should the new radiator in the extension be run from the new spur which is directly below it in the kitchen (2.4 metres straight down), or from the upstairs circuit by creating a new spur in 15mm copper or microbore pipe (a run of about 9metres horizontal)?

I can't remember the make of my boiler off hand, but the plumber who did my final connections last time said that it was "more than big enough" for the last two radiators fitted, so this is really a question about balance.

Thanks.