radiator question
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bazza
Ganger
Ganger

radiator question

by bazza » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:30 pm

hi guys you may not believe this but a freind of mine asked me to look at a rad he has just fitted as it wudnt heat up i ve had a luck n tried turning down the other rads and turning up the pump but nothing works but the rad isnt curculating but the pipework at the bottom of the flow pipe got warm n then went cold as if no water will flow i questioned him about how he piped it in he sed he teed into 15mm pipes which shudnt cause a problem but he sounded like he didnt av much of a clue so im suspecting he may av teed into the flow pipe twice instead of teeing into the return is there any way i can check 4 this as he has boarded over plastered and painted were he made the connections one side has a trv n other side a lockshield and if that is the case is there any way to fix it without ripping the studded wall bk out thanx 4 any replies bazza

marrtin
Foreman
Foreman

by marrtin » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:44 am

I can't see as there's any way to easily test for this. Ok, there will be a slight pressure difference between the flow and return, but just how you measure this I can't say.

If we assume that all the other rads are getting good and hot, then logically there can really only be three reasons why it's not getting hot. One of the feed pipes is blocked either with debris or it's kinked etc. A bad airlock or it's connected as you suggested.

If the rad is drained and disconnected, open the valve in turn at each end and allow the water to flow into a bowl this should expel any air and prove a good flow of water. If the all seems satisfactory, then the smart money is with your thoughts.

marrtin
Foreman
Foreman

by marrtin » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:46 am

I can't see as there's any way to easily test for this. Ok, there will be a slight pressure difference between the flow and return, but just how you measure this I can't say.

If we assume that all the other rads are getting good and hot, then logically there can really only be three reasons why it's not getting hot. One of the feed pipes is blocked either with debris or it's kinked etc. A bad airlock or it's connected as you suggested.

If the rad is drained and disconnected, open the valve in turn at each end and allow the water to flow into a bowl this should expel any air and prove a good flow of water. If the all seems satisfactory, then the smart money is with your thoughts.

The Heating Doctor
Foreman
Foreman

by The Heating Doctor » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:58 pm

Is he sure he has tee'd into the heating system?

bazza
Ganger
Ganger

radiator question

by bazza » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:52 pm

hi marrtin / heating doc. thanx 4 replys sorry i havnt replyed sooner bin really busy much appreciated cheers bazza

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1