radiator removal
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
kenny b
Labourer
Labourer

radiator removal

by kenny b » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:54 pm

Help! can anyone tell me how to remove a radiator in order to lay a new laminate floor. I know how to remove the radiator leaving the valves in place but i want to remove those so i can cut holes in the laminate for the pipe work kenny b

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

by plumbbob » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:17 pm

Well, you have got to drain the whole system which I cannot comment on as you have not given any info.

Once drained, the compression nut can be undone, and the valve removed, but this still leaves the nut on the pipe which actually, is not much smaller than the valve. Removing the nut means new olives have to be bought, and consider also, it is really easy to damage the pipe.

Frankly, I would avoid this route. I know what you are saying, but draining and filling is at the best time consuming and the worst, no heating and more posts to this forum!

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:48 am

The literal answer to your question is as Bob has written.

However, you DO NOT need to drain or even remove the rad to do this job.

If your laminate "planks" are being laid perpendicular to the rad then lay the planks such that the pipe falls at a join. Mark the position, join the two planks together drill through them when joined, split the two apart and you'll the find that they can be clicked together round the pipe. Depending on how far apart the pipes are you may find this won't work for both pipes. In which can use the parallel method for one pipe.

If planks laid parallel to the rad then just cut yourself a U shaped incision into the plank an fit round pipe. Fit pipe collars after you have finihed and you'll not even see the missing bit of plank at the skirting board.

Simples.

Cheers

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Steve the gas » Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:29 am

You could, depending how far, cut a U shape in the floor, then shorten the bit of cut out to put behind the pipe.

Hth

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:15 am