Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Meldj
Labourer
Labourer

Radiator Tail Nut Not Gripping Valve Thread

by Meldj » Sun May 22, 2022 10:59 am

Hi All,

I recently removed a radiator to complete some decorating. We had somebody fit a new valve on the lock shield side as there was a slight leak from it.

I've gone to put the radiator back in place and I'm having trouble getting the nut on the tail to grip onto the thread on the valve on the lock shield side. There's some pics and a vid below if that helps. The only way I can describe it is it's as if the nut is just a few mil shy of reaching the thread. It just spins and doesn't grip anything. I've tried 5-10 wraps of PTFE to see if that helps make a connection but it does not.

The only potential issues that come to mind are:
1 - The valve is not fully inserted into the tail, thus there's a gap between the nut and the valve. To me it feels as though the valve is as far into the tail as it will go. The position of the radiator makes it difficult to apply leverage to push the valve further in.

2. The thread on the nut is gone. Would this mean getting a whole new radiator?

Any thoughts and advice greatly appreciated. So close to finishing up our renovation and really want to avoid paying a handyman and/or plumber to fix this if at all possible.
Attachments
281663002_1053174462263914_516529156886807883_n.jpg

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Radiator Tail Nut Not Gripping Valve Thread

by stoneyboy » Mon May 23, 2022 10:46 pm

Hi meldj,
The new valve should have come with a new tail to screw into the radiator, suggest you remove the old and fit the new - use ptfe tape for sealing the thread into the radiator. Try and get the insertion length so you meet the nut.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:12 pm