radiators cool down even when heating is on
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Rob Gibson
Apprentice
Apprentice

radiators cool down even when heating is on

by Rob Gibson » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:03 pm

I'm not sure if this has been asked already so sorry if I am repeating someone else's question. I have quite an archaic back boiler which (for the moment) generally works quite well. However once the heating reaches a certain temperature all the radiators cool down dramatically then get very hot again after a while. Should it do this even when it is really cold outside? It means the house is never a constant temperature and can go cold quite quickly.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:41 pm

Do you have TRV's fitted to the radiators ?

htg

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Steve the gas » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:40 am

Hi Rob,

Also what are your stats set at ?

Rob Gibson
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Rob Gibson » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:09 pm

[quote="htg engineer"]Do you have TRV's fitted to the radiators ?

htg[/quote]

TRV's are fitted but it doesn't get warm at the pipe below it - the pipe is warm on the +/- side though. Thanks for your interest

Rob Gibson
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Rob Gibson » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:10 pm

[quote="Steve the gas"]Hi Rob,

Also what are your stats set at ?[/quote]

Hi Steve
Thanks for replying. Sorry but excuse my ignorance - what do you mean stats? The thermostat is set at about 21C.

Thanks

Rob

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:21 pm

It's probably the TRV doing what is should, when the room reaches the temp you have set the TRV to, this will stop the flow of water through the radiators, when the room temp drops the TRV will open and heat up again.

Remove the TRV head and use like that for a day or two - I bet you find the radiator will no longer cool down.

htg

Rob Gibson
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Rob Gibson » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:22 pm

[quote="htg engineer"]It's probably the TRV doing what is should, when the room reaches the temp you have set the TRV to, this will stop the flow of water through the radiators, when the room temp drops the TRV will open and heat up again.

Remove the TRV head and use like that for a day or two - I bet you find the radiator will no longer cool down.

htg[/quote]

Thanks for the advice I ll try to give that a go.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1