Radiators on when should only be heating water
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ukbrown
Labourer
Labourer

Radiators on when should only be heating water

by ukbrown » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:59 am

Hi, Now it's summer :), turned off the central heating and using it just for hot water. Occasionaly, once or twice a week, even with just the water on the radiators heat up as well and it seems to take a long time for the water to heat up.

I am not a DIY'er so will get a heating company in, but would like some idea of what might be wrong so they don't try and rip me off. If you know of a decent firm in the Coalville area that would be appreciated as well.

Regards
Alastair

Atticus Finch
Tradesman
Tradesman

Re: Radiators on when should only be heating water

by Atticus Finch » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:14 pm

Do you have a combi (instant hot water) boiler? If so, it's probably the diverter valve allowing hot water to leak into the radiator circuit.

If you don't have a combi, I would need a lot more info about your system to make a sensible diagnosis.

ukbrown
Labourer
Labourer

by ukbrown » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:49 pm

Interesting. It is most definitely not a combination boiler. It has been doing it intermittently for about a year. We don't notice it in winter as we are happy to have heat coming out the radiators. In the summer though bit of an issue.

Thanks for the reply. If you need more info I might be able to provide

Atticus Finch
Tradesman
Tradesman

by Atticus Finch » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:43 pm

Is this a new fault, i.e. the system worked correctly last summer? If so, then you may have a faulty motorized valve. It is normally near the hot water cylinder.

Motorized valve
Motorized valve
3 port valve.jpg (9.43 KiB) Viewed 2580 times

ukbrown
Labourer
Labourer

by ukbrown » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:28 pm

Pretty sure it was working ok last summer. Guess I willo need to get someone out to have a lok at it.

Thanks

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1