radiators refilling with air
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Dante
Labourer
Labourer

radiators refilling with air

Post by Dante » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:18 am

About three months ago I noticed that some of my radiators had air in and would need bleeding. after enquiring on the best method I borrowed a radiator key and started to bleed the main culprit with the system off. these seemes to take forever and after a few days it finally finished. however, when the heating next came on all the air gurgled round again. this keeps happening no matter which radiator I have bled off (and ive bin doing them in sequence top to bottom of house). I do not have a header tank so that doesn't need topping up. any suggestions on how to solve them problem? or is it just my bleeding technique? : )

plumberman666
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by plumberman666 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:44 pm

If you have a combi system or a sealed system then you should not have air in the system, unless you have drained the system down at some point. Systems with a header tank usually require venting after summer when they have not been used for heating for a while, do you have to top the pressure up on your boiler often?

Dante
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Dante » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:18 pm

it's a combi system and as far as i no I don't have to alter pressure it was serviced 10 months ago. waterboard switched the water off 5 or 6 months ago which, may have drained the system or let air in. other than that sounds like i may have to pay for help.

mlcinfl
Labourer
Labourer

Post by mlcinfl » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:03 am

[quote="Dante"]it's a combi system and as far as i no I don't have to alter pressure it was serviced 10 months ago. waterboard switched the water off 5 or 6 months ago which, may have drained the system or let air in. other than that sounds like i may have to pay for help.[/quote]

What is the reading on the pressure gauge at the boiler? This should be between 1 & 1.5 bars.
A combi (sealed) system should top-up in seconds, not days as your first post stated.
Locate the system filling loop and re-pressurise the system to 1 bar, vent one radiator at a time and keep re-checking the system pressure. When all radiators are full re-visit the boiler and make sure the system pressure is between 1 & 1.5 bar.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1