Radiators turn themselves off
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
samcru
Apprentice
Apprentice

Radiators turn themselves off

Post by samcru » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:42 pm

When the central heating goes on first thing in the morning by a timer it runs perfectly, however, after about an hour or so later the radiators get cold but the timer is still on. When I check the pump first thing it is very hot and vibrating and the spring loaded leaver below in the Honeywell silver box is forward as I have manually put it there but when the radiators go cold the pump is hot but not vibrating and sometimes the spring leaver is back on itself. Even if I manually put the spring loaded leaver forward again the water still does not go through to the radiators and the pump is still not vibrating but hot.

Any ideas?

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:19 pm

It could be that the pump is over heating - it should be hot to touch when the heating is on - but not mad hot.

If you're having to keep moving the actuator valve by hand - that may also need replacing.

samcru
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by samcru » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:52 am

thanks

roger196
Ganger
Ganger

Post by roger196 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:22 pm

Have you checked your room thermostat.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by rosebery » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:54 pm

Could it be that each and every rad is fitted with a TRV and that they are all set to a rather low temperature?

Are you moving the actuator by hand to attempt to force the system to do something rather than having to move it to make it do anything?

Does not the fact that it has returned to a previous position indicate that the room and cylinder stats might be working properly?

Although the rads might be cold are the pipes hot?

Does the pump vibration disappear if you turn the speed control down?

Cheers

samcru
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by samcru » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:46 am

The radiators are not fitted with a TRV and they have been working ok for the past two years, when we moved in. i am moving the actuator by hand to allow the hot water from the pump to circulate to the radiators as sometimes the pump is hot and vibrating but the actuator of over and the pipe underneath is cold when I put it across the pipe and radiators get hot. Do you mean the pipes in the airing cupboard where the tank is? or the pipes to connected to the radiators as these are also cold. If I turn the speed control down the pump still vibrates but I have kept it on number 3. Could it be a problem with the timer itself as when I had the hot water on and the radiators off the radiators came on?

Thanks a lot

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1