radiators warm along top when turned off
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
cda3003
Labourer
Labourer

radiators warm along top when turned off

by cda3003 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:37 pm

I have just had the central heating power flushed and now the radiators are warm at the top when turned off. Could the power flush damage the divertor or trv's if not done properly. This cost a lot of money and I feel I am not getting any answers as to why from the plumber.

I have now tried turning off the radiators, all the ones down stairs and they are staying warm along the top. This was not happening before one radiators was cold along the bottom, so took off and found load of sludge, so thought there must be loads in the system. Then approached a plumber who suggested a power flush, this has made things worse. When on they are hotter along the top and now when turned off they are still warm along the top. I asked if they had been balanced properly, the plumber suggested stratification??????

Anyone got any idea's quite frustrated as spent a lot of money, which seems to have been a waste

:(

jim the plumb
Tradesman
Tradesman

by jim the plumb » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:05 pm

Sounds like the power flush moved some sludge towards the mid position valve/ diverter valve preventing it from closing completely when the heating is turned off unless it was already faulty.

Stratification means layering, so I would guess he used that to describe the layers of hotter water from bottom to top. Never heard that word used until today.

The general rule is that if the rads stay on when the heating is off - look to the diverter valve/ mid position valve which may be letting hot water by.

HTH jimbo

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:54 pm

Check boiler, if the boiler is off and still warm - noting to worry about they will cool eventually.

Nothing to do with TRV's/radiators, even if they were damaged this would not be a sign of any damage.

htg

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1