DIY Doctor

Rads not coming on

Postby nick108 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:26 pm


We have had a new worcestor twin star 30cdi boiler and new central heating installed.

I have 7 radiators downstairs and 8 upstairs. I am finding that on occasion 1 rad downstairs wont come on and 2 upstairs.

The builders has tried removing air, balancing, replacing thermostats, turning up the heat on the boiler , none of these have solved the problem.

It is strange because occasionally they have come on, but then other rads wont come on. This week the problem has been consistent.

Anyone have any ideas what we should be looking at.

Many Thanks
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:17 pm


Simply Build It

Postby plumbbob » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:45 pm

It could be trapped air simply blocking the pipes and moving about causing the intermittent heating that you describe.

With the heating on, try shutting entirely all the radiators that are getting hot. This may force the blockage into the radiator where it can be bled off.
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 1891
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 9:59 pm

Postby PowerFlushAssoc » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:30 pm

I assume open vented:
The hot water flow circuit needs a valve to restrict flow through it. When the hot water circuit comes on and there is no restriction, the water simply goes the easiest way - 80% through the hot water circuit leaving 20% for all rads.

The other option is pieces of sludge or debris in the pipes moving around under different flow conditions. If your water is black - power flush the whole system. Draining it down will not be enough.
Rank: Apprentice
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:40 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics