Rainwater drainage
Drainage and wastage systems and plumbing help, advice and answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Ferryman
Labourer
Labourer

Rainwater drainage

Post by Ferryman » Fri May 02, 2008 9:49 pm

I returned home today to find rainwater coming back up one of my rainwater pipes and leaking out of the top. I tried unsuccessfully to clear the water and eventually decided to dig around the base of the pipe to try to disconnect it at the bottom and clear the blockage at this end. After digging down about 10 inches, I discovered that the pipe wasn't actually connected to anything at all - it was simply pushed into the sandy soil around the foundations of the house.
Can anybody please advise if this is an acceptable practice? The house is 5 years old and is still covered by a NHBC warranty. I would like to know if I should contact them to discuss this "defect". My understanding is that it should either be connected to the main sewer or a soakaway, at least 5 metres away, via an underground pipe.
I cleared the blockage in my pipe, stuffed it back into the soil and connected it all up again. When I tested it by pouring water down the drain, I ended up with a huge puddle against the wall of my house.

Can anybody please advise??

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by htg engineer » Sat May 03, 2008 5:04 pm

No it's not acceptable, it should as you say discharge into a drain or a soakaway - get in touch with the builders or whoever the warranty is with.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:11 am