Raised Patio Sub Base Poured and Compacted on Soil?
Drainage pipes, concrete, footings and foundations. Post your questions and find answers here

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
evorg88
Apprentice
Apprentice

Raised Patio Sub Base Poured and Compacted on Soil?

Post by evorg88 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:56 pm

Good afternoon,

I'm building a small raised patio area in the back garden. It'll be raised above the ground level using 200x100 sleepers in a picture-frame arrangement. The void will then be filled and eventually flagged on top.

I have removed the turf from the area which has taken the whole area down by approx 50mm. I will be laying the sleepers on their 100mm side and fastening each one to a series of 100mm timber fence posts concreted into the ground.

My question is: As I am aiming for a minimum of 100mm sub-base, can this just be poured and compacted on-top of the soil level I am at now, or will I need to dig down further? I'm just conscious of that fact that as it stands now I'll have a void of 200mm to fill to bring the finished patio flags level with the top of the sleepers.

Thanks in advance!

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Raised Patio Sub Base Poured and Compacted on Soil?

Post by stoneyboy » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:49 pm

Hi evorg88,
If the surface you have exposed is difficult to get a fork into then just fill. If however it is soft (easy to get a fork into) then you will need to dig down further.
Regards S

evorg88
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Raised Patio Sub Base Poured and Compacted on Soil?

Post by evorg88 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:14 am

Hi stoneyboy,

Thanks for your reply, that's a great tip, I'll have a look today.

Thanks again

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:54 am