RAISED PATIO
Post your questions and get answers regarding all areas of drives, pathways and patios

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mike sewell
Labourer
Labourer

RAISED PATIO

Post by mike sewell » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:01 am

I want to lay a patio on an existing concrete base. This will take it above the recommended height against the damp course on the house. Can i get around this by starting the patio 4/6 inches away from the wall. I can then put additional flashing in the gap created and fill with a thin layer of ornamental chippings. The patio will be sloping gradually away from the house. What do you think?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:49 pm

mike sewell,
Recently been to a house where a large extension has been added, the patio abuts the outside walls and is at the same level as the inside floor. The BI insisted that 100mm of the joints between the paving slabs and about 50mm out from the house were filled with gravel. As far as I could see the DPC was at patio level and no special vertical damp-proofing measures had been taken (the walls were rendered and painted). Yes it was approved for B regs.
end

Paul Abb
Labourer
Labourer

Overlaying existing concrete path.

Post by Paul Abb » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:54 am

Hi I am thinking of doing the same - ie laying sandstone over existing concrete paths. My question is what to use to clean off the existing concrete and what to lay the new sandstone on to bond it to the existing.
Thanks for the help.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by stoneyboy » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:43 pm

Paul Abb,
Pressure clean the concrete, lay the paving slabs on a 4:1 sharp sand : opc mix.
end

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

help at hand

Post by TheDoctor4 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:01 pm

For up to 5 FREE quotes from trusted, vetted and insured tradesmen in your area visit the DIY Doctor Find a Tradesman page: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/find_tradesmen/

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:40 pm