raised storage area within a shop
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
David82
Labourer
Labourer

raised storage area within a shop

by David82 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:03 pm

Hi everybody!

I own a clothes shop with quite high ceilings, but not very large, so I don´t have too much space to store. I´m thinking in creating a raised storage area at the end of the shop and I wonder, whether I have to use a utility stair according to the building regulations or I can use a ladder since this space is going to be used only for storage.

Would be great if you could help me

Thanks a lot

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: raised storage area within a shop

by welsh brickie » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:33 am

you will need a staircase, health and safety will insist on it if anyone falls of the ladder you will be liable

MarkGrogan
Labourer
Labourer

Re: raised storage area within a shop

by MarkGrogan » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:42 am

I agree with Welsh that you should install a staircase which provides more safety and security. Even though in your personal opinion, it is only for storage purpose, but you never know if a parcel from the storage compartment could be mishandled by yourself or a staff. When done so, there is a risk of an accident and if a person were to fall from a great height, the accident would be severe. Hence, prevention is better than cure so staircase is definitely a preferred choice.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1