Rammed Earth (cob/adobe) Floor Replacement?
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
ChrisRichmond
Apprentice
Apprentice

Rammed Earth (cob/adobe) Floor Replacement?

Post by ChrisRichmond » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:39 am

Hi

I own a house in Bulgaria that has a rammed earth floor in two of the rooms, they are not in great condition so I would like to replace them.
Question is with what? Do I excavate and replace with concrete slab or do I fit a suspended wooden floor or somehow tile the existing floor?

Thanks Chris

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Rammed Earth (cob/adobe) Floor Replacement?

Post by welsh brickie » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:03 pm

dig out and concrete with a damp proof membrane, if you put a timber floor in you will have to blind it with concrete anyway, to stop anything growing and install airbricks through the wall to dry out any damp

ChrisRichmond
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by ChrisRichmond » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:21 pm

I was leaning towards doing that, the only question being how would the extra weight on the ground effect the foundations if at all? Also would it be a good idea to put a few piles into the ground before the slab is laid, easy to do as I already own an earth auger with 4" and 6" auger bits both a meter long but I also have extension rods.

Cheers Chris

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by welsh brickie » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:58 am

you will need to lay a hardcore sub base first, a minimum of 100mm is needed, then your insulation if you want, then damp proof membrane
then concrete minimum 100mm thick, then a 50mm thick screed of sand and cement to ensure the floor is perfectly level for tiles,
So overall your looking at a total depth of 300mm to excavate out of the rooms, which should not affect the foundations, if your not going to insulate the floor then you need to use sand to blind the hardcore so that it does not puncture the membrane, but make sure the hardcore is well compacted by using a plate compactor

Smithjones
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Smithjones » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:37 am

In my opinion, opting for wooden floor is not that great option. Tiling the existing floor is also considerable but make sure to concern the professionals first regarding this. Apart from that, if new installation is required, go with the concrete slab floor. It is also long lasting.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:21 am