Rangemaster Classic 90 Dual Fuel - mains tripping
Help, advice and problem solutions on all aspects of home appliances from washing machines to TV's

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jemball
Tradesman
Tradesman

Rangemaster Classic 90 Dual Fuel - mains tripping

Post by jemball » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:45 pm

My wife cleaned the cooker 2 days ago inc the main fan oven (in which she used a foam spray oven cleaner, Mr Muscle, on the roof). She was using the gas rings before lunch yesterday when the main 100ma RCD mains switch tripped (and would not turn on again). It tripped about 15 minutes after igniting the rings.

I turned off the cooker switch in the fuse box and could then turn on the mains switch (without tripping). I turned off the supply unit switch on the wall by the cooker and could then turn on the cooker switch in the fuse box without tripping. So there must have been an earth leakage or short either between the supply unit and the cooker or in the cooker itself.

We left the main oven door open last night in the vain hope that the cooker might recover, and this morning were amazed when we could turn on both switches without any mains tripping! The cooker now works fine again. However, we are still a bit nervous that the problem may occur again and that it was not connected with the cleaning process.

Does anyone know what might have happened?
[/u]

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:43 am

Moisture can effect the cables and electrical equipment this can cause earth leakage and shorting.
KB

farmer1
Labourer
Labourer

Post by farmer1 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:03 pm

Hello Jemball not sure i've got the same problem as you but our range cooker trips the rcb after we turn the oven off ,normaly after a five minutes or more.

jemball
Tradesman
Tradesman

Post by jemball » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:03 am

Thanks kbrownie. I think it must have been moisture, but if in the cooker it doesn't say much for it being 'fit for purpose'! Anyway it's working ok now, so let's hope that it was a bit of moisture in the power supply switch on the wall.

Farmer 1. I'm no electrician but try turning the cooker off with the power supply switch. If it doesn't trip the rcd then it could be a fault in the oven switch which you could replace if you have the skill. I think you can get most spares via the internet quite easily.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:45 pm