RCBO needed for Part P?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Benoir
Labourer
Labourer

RCBO needed for Part P?

by Benoir » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:28 pm

Hey

Can anyone help?

I had a re-wire around 2 years ago by a qualified electrician who does not usually do homes, but more industrial work. He obviously knew what he was doing, however he could not issue a Part P cert. I have now had an electrician do a check to issue a Part P certificate and he states there is no RCB fitted to the board for the downstairs sockets which is needed for the Part P. Can anyone confirm if this is the case?

Many thanks

Ben

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

by TheDoctor4 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:40 pm

Hi

Have you had a look at the "https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/partp.htm" DIY Project page. There may be some useful information for you here!

Regards

ericmark

by ericmark » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:31 pm

Not two years ago, then BS7671:2001 was in force and you needed to have RCD protection on sockets likely to be used to power items outside which often meant one or two RCD sockets only.
Now you need all sockets 20 amp or under.
Strictly speaking not Part P although Part P is based on it and exact requirements may differ according to overseeing body. So although had you registered the work with the local authority building control you didn't need RCD's on all sockets it may be required when cheating as you are.
I would not think anyone could give you a completion certificate without being to today's standard and I would have expected you would need to change the consumer unit to comply with BS7671:2008 in order for a completion certificate to be issued.
A PIR could be issued but that has nothing to do with Part P and is only the same as the Installation certificate which your original electrician would have issued anyway. You should have informed the council then the electrician does the work gives you a installation certificate which you then give to council who in turn issue a completion certificate.
As other post said there is a link to Part P
Eric

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:18 pm