Re Balancing of Radiators - one with possible sediment
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Turin74
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re Balancing of Radiators - one with possible sediment

by Turin74 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:26 am

Hi
One of my radiators heats up slower than the others and the top usually heats up quicker than the bottom. This radiator is the furthest from the boiler so i thought it could be a balancing issue
On a recent visit from an engineer on an unrelated issue they suggested it was sediment build up. The radiator has plastic piping leading into it from the wall.
From advice from others it had been suggested that there could also be a balancing issue.
So i asked the engineer to adjust the other radiators so that more flowed into the colder radiator.
However i am now wondering if this is a safe thing to do with the increased water pressure into this radiator possibly pushing the sediment around the entire system? - others have suggested this cant happen
Any ideas
Thanks

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Re Balancing of Radiators - one with possible sediment

by collectors » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:41 am

1st Thing to do is bleed all the rads, starting with the lowest rad & work around to the highest. If its a pressurized system? keep an eye on the boiler pressure dial as you may need a top up of water. Then fire up the boiler & get it all working nice & hot, then starting with the rads nearest the boiler start turning down each rad, one by one to see if the cold rad improves. Remember you are turning down the rad valve that is at the opposite end from any TRV's that maybe fitted. Just turn down about 3/4 of a turn on each rad & give it 5 mins to take effect.

Turin74
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Turin74 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:52 pm

Hi, thanks for reply.
Problem with my radiators only two have TRVs the others have to be adjusted by winch which the engineer did
My main concern was that if the flow has been restricted to the other radiators then more water pressure would be entering the radiator with the sediment buildup - could push the it around the entire system (including boiler) - although others have told me the sludge wont move from the radiator
Thanks

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

by collectors » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:50 am

[quote="Turin74"]Hi, thanks for reply.
Problem with my radiators only two have TRVs the others have to be adjusted by winch which the engineer did
My main concern was that if the flow has been restricted to the other radiators then more water pressure would be entering the radiator with the sediment buildup - could push the it around the entire system (including boiler) - although others have told me the sludge wont move from the radiator
Thanks[/quote]
If your convinced that its sediment, take the rad off & flush it out or fit a new rad. The other alternative is a system wide chemical flush.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1