Re-boarding ceiling
Ask your questions and find answers on many subjects relating to plastering and dry lining

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
donpearce
Labourer
Labourer

Re-boarding ceiling

Post by donpearce » Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:26 pm

Hi, We have a ceiling that needs re-boarding as it has some very large cracks in it (appear to be from previous water damage). There are 2 RSJ beams across the width of the room that are boxed in with rough 4 x 1" timber (stained to look like olde worlde beams :? )

I'm planning to rip the existing plaster down and insulate between the original joists using Kingspan before re-boarding.

My first question is is there a way that I can further improve the sound and heat insulation without going crazy in terms of adding huge amounts of extra work and costs?

Secondly, What's the best way to box around the RSJs with pasterboard?

Finally, never having done it before, is it realistic that I will be able to dry line and create a high quality finish bearing in mind the fact that I need to box around the RSJs or should not bother and get a plasterer in to skim it afterwards?

Cheers for any help.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:05 pm

Can you insulate from above without re-moving boards, you can still board over ceiling which will also add to sound proofing, fire proofing and thermal insulation.
Around the beams you need to fix some timber work, some use no nails or screw in to above joists and hang timber work down and around RSJ.
KB

donpearce
Labourer
Labourer

Post by donpearce » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:19 am

Thanks for the advice, you're right I should try to avoid bringing down the existing ceiling if at all possible!

Unfortunately the room above has bare floorboards which have been sanded, stained and varnished. They are tongue and groove so I'd be worried that lifting them will mean I'd mess them up and have to do them all over again...

Is it feasible to leave the existing ceiling up, baton it out and Kingspan between the batons before putting new plasterboard up?
I'd need to locate the joists of course, but would I need an air gap between the insulation and either the old ceiling or the new board?

With the RSJs already boxed in with timber, could I just nail (?) cut to size plasterboard directly to them and have it skimmed?

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:51 pm

Screw boards rather than nail, and you can put up new timbers and board over after insulating. Make sure your timbers are not only fixed firmly to excisting joist but are also fixed securely around the wall edges.
Cables for lights my need altering as could not be long enough to drop to new ceiling! I see no reason for air gap!
KB

TheDoctor5

Post by TheDoctor5 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:13 pm

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:28 pm