re-glaze with putty or mastic?
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
katiesdad
Tradesman
Tradesman

re-glaze with putty or mastic?

by katiesdad » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:37 pm

I have to replace quite a few of my sealed double glassed units after 20 years. the units are 4-12-4 and are in hardwood frames with timber quadrant on the inside of the frame. they were installed using brown coloured non-setting putty to match the frames. This putty is now so hard that you virtually have to break the glass to get it out. (They have never leaked) Do I use the same non-setting putty again or has the world moved on to some everlasting easy-to-use mastic?
( I plan on staying here for the next 20 years, so if I have to do it again I'll be 74 and want an easy life!) :?: I've had over 250 viewings of this so far, but nobody has replied. If you do have a suggestion do please reply, as I don't really want to take out the windows in the middle of winter!

aeyres
Apprentice
Apprentice

by aeyres » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:59 pm

Mastic/Silicone will be much easier to use & they are (in my opinion) better than putty.
Use a good quality silicone such as Arbosil 1096 as this has greater structural strength whilst being infinitely flexible. Hope this helps

cockupkid
Labourer
Labourer

replacing sealed units into double glazing

by cockupkid » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:42 pm

suggest you log onto 'the windowman ' website if you haven't started your repairs yet. He goes right thru what to do including the latest method which does not use putty/sealants but depends on how much frame timber you have to play with. Lots of info and downloadable e-books ( free). Also check with your local council re disposal of the old sealed units as they are not domestic waste.

katiesdad
Tradesman
Tradesman

by katiesdad » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:14 pm

Windowman is mind boggling but so informative.
And the recommended sealant is just what he says.
Its a shame I didn't know about this when I made the window frames,
but at least I now know that the outside should be fully sealed- and maintained and the inside can breath a little.
Many thanks

DortechDirect
Labourer
Labourer

Re: re-glaze with putty or mastic?

by DortechDirect » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:30 pm

Mastic/Silicone will be much easier to use & they are (in my opinion) better than putty.
Use a good quality silicone such as Arbosil 1096 as this has greater structural strength whilst being infinitely flexible. Hope this helps

From our experience 1096 is the best silicone available. Aeyres is actually absolutely right.
Arbosil can be hard to find, because mainstream DIY stores don't tend to sell it.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:12 am