Re painting walls
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Novice12
Labourer
Labourer

Re painting walls

by Novice12 » Tue May 22, 2007 1:00 pm

Hi Folks

I know nothing about decorating, so please no silly remarks when I ask stupid questions.....

I have recently had a leak in the house which damaged our newly (about 2 years ago) painted walls in the lounge and dining room

We have a decorator in from the insurance company who is repainting the walls for us, but the edges where the walls join are darker than the rest of the walls once they dry out. He has used 2 coats on the walls.

The decorator did not remove the old paint first, just repainted over the old paint/linning paper which is currently there......

Any ideas?? (sorry if I have aksed a stupid question) :?:

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Thu May 24, 2007 8:39 am

Not a stupid question at all, in fact a very common one. When a painter "cuts in" the edges of a room with a brush very oftem they will load the brush with too much paint. This applies excess paint to the walls and it drys out darker than the roller applioed paint quite simply because its thicker. If it is still visible when the paint has thoroughly dried the only remedy is to paint the rest of the wall with a brush also or to apply it with a different roller which will give a thicker coat. Its the only way to get the paint the same thickness. When cutting in, less paint should be used and each brushfull shouldbe brushed out as much as physically possible to get the same thickness of paint as that which the roller will apply.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:53 pm