RE: PART P REGISTERED/EARTH BONDING
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
MRSH
Labourer
Labourer

RE: PART P REGISTERED/EARTH BONDING

by MRSH » Sun Nov 04, 2007 1:57 am

Hi, new on here and already have a question?

I have just moved into a privately rented house and have found out that there is little earth bonding in the house, so my landlady had got lots of quotes for the work but they were to expensive for her!!!!!!!!!!!!!. So she has now found a cheaper electrician who looked dodgy and said he could do the work cheaper which involves changing light switches in my babies bedrooms to plastic as they are metal, sorting out some wiring, changing the light fittings downstairs to plastic as they are metal and also not earthed and changing our main box (trip box) to a new one as that has no metal plate behind it and i was told by a previous electrician that he could touch the wires in the box if he tried so it would need a plate or changing. The bloke that is doing the work next week has a website address on the company card which does not exist but he is in the yellow pages, it also says PART P QUALIFIED, i questioned this with my landlady so she asked him if he was registered and he said no, that he had just finished a 5 year apprenteship and will be registered in 3wks, which is after he carries out this work, but he can still give my landlady a landlords certificate for the work, could someone help me as i would like to know if he is legally allowed to do this work???? as i have my children to think about. Thank you

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

by BLAKEY1963 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:22 am

MRSH

OKAY , firstly any electrician who is part p registered can be
verified ever so easily.
ask the electrician which competent persons scheme he is a member of. the scheme providers r , ECA , NAPIT , ELECSA , NICEIC
ALL these have given the electrician an assessment for competence
in the electrical work they do.
these providers can be found in yellow pages so u can check this person
is registered . simple as that .
if he can t give u a scheme provider then , do not use him , find someone
who is.
i personally r registered with NICEIC , DOMESTIC INSTALLERS SCHEME.
and registered as a trustmark trader.
members of the public in my area giving me work , have , rang NICEIC
to verify. they have gone onto the NICEIC website to check as well.
trustmark also verify my work in the same way.
BACK TO THE ORINGINAL QUERY.
your lanlady is responsible for the safty of the electrical installation.
i know its always about money , but she will have to engage a registered
electrician who can issue part p certificates , registering his work with local authority building control , and doing this work to part p.
changing the fittings to plastic , removes the direct shock contact risk , but
does not address the fact that serious earthing issues exist.
AS SOON AS POSSIBLE , YOUR LANDLADY MUST BY LAW ,
get in a REGISTERED ( WHICH CAN BE VERFIED WITH SCHEME PROVIDER) PART P ELECTRICIAN to put this installation safe.
any problems with the landlady or landlord not fullfilling thier obligations
of saftey when renting property , can and should be addressed to citezens advice , trading standards ect .

BLAKEY1963

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:23 pm

Hi Agree with Blakey abt part-p registry & what is a 'landlords cert.' no such thing exists!!!!!
I think what he means by the metal plate bit is that the existing con.unit has exposed main buss-bar, not uncommon on older boards but no longer acceptable.
I assume from comments abt, changing metal fittings to plastic is because of no earth wire in lighting circuit, which dates it to over 40 years so your landlady has had her moneys worth from installation!!
If her cheapy chappy has just finished apprenticeship then getting reg. will take a lot longer than a few weeks, and until he has some finished, certified work to show can't even begin to get registered.
The only way he can do her work is to notify LA bldg control b4 starting the work, pay their fees up front £150-£250, and getting them to inspect plus he still MUST issue IEE test certs. for all work!
He could then change con.unit but would have to put note on test sheet reference lighting circuits not having earths & affix label to board indicating any such circuits,
regards SPARX

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:30 pm