Re: replacing existing double glazing?
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
taylor1
Labourer
Labourer

Re: replacing existing double glazing?

by taylor1 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:33 pm

My daughters small bedroom is really cold and she has to have the bed under the window. The timber double glazed window is approx. 25 years old and we would appreciate advice on whether replacing this with a new UPVC window might help insulation. There is also a lot of condensation just on this window in the house. Thanks for any advice!

ALDA
Foreman
Foreman

by ALDA » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:24 pm

Yes, because latest upvc windows are designed and manufactured to improved Insulation standards to meet with improved building regulations.

ie. Bigger gap between inner and outer glazing
Larger section frames.

Is room adiqately heated?

If single rad fitted, maybe a double is better option.

Before deciding to upgrade rad wait until glazing is replaced for room should be warmer.

New window will be warmer on inside and might be less likely to have condesation form on it.

ALDA

taylor1
Labourer
Labourer

by taylor1 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:06 pm

Thank you for your advice. I have used a local firm before to replace windows and have always been happy with their work. However, because warmth is such an issue would it be better to shop around and maybe go to a firm like Everest. Does quality vary even with Fensa registered?

Thanks again for the advice and any help re. the above.

ALDA
Foreman
Foreman

by ALDA » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:50 am

IN MY HUMBLE OPINION, YES STANDARDS DO VARY.

AS WITH ALL THINGS THERE ARE MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS THAT HAVE TO BE MET, AND WITH SOME MANUFACTURERS, THATS ALL YOU WILL GET!

THE BETTER MANUFACTURERS WILL EXCEED THE MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS BUT USUALLY AT AN INFLATED PRICE.

I SUPPOSE WHAT I'M REALY SAYING IS, RESEARCH THE PRODUCTS AND THEIR MANUFACTURES THAT ARE OUT THERE AND MAKE A WELL BALANCED CHOICE BASED ON: -

HOW MUCH YOU VALUE THE COMFORT AND WELLBEING OF YOUR CHILD?

AFFORDABILITY?
BUY THE BEST AND YOU WILL ONLY SPEND ONCE IS MY OPINION.

HAVE YOU CONSIDERED "TRIPPLE GLAZED WINDOW"

CONDESATION PROBLEMS ARE ONLY SOLVED WITH : -

GOOD INSULATION (LOFT AND WALL CAVITIES)
ADIQUATE HEATING (CORRECT SIZE RADIATOR FOR ROOM)
VENTILATION (TRICKLE VENTS OR DEHUMIDIFERS)
GLAZING (DOUBLE OR TRIPPLE GLAZED)

KIND REGARDS
ALDA.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:49 pm