Re-Roofing a Lean-to Double-Fronted bay Window
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

Mikezebedee
Labourer
Labourer

Re-Roofing a Lean-to Double-Fronted bay Window

by Mikezebedee » Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:06 pm

Excuse my ignorance here, but I have doubts over the capability of a roofer who is re-roofing my double-fronted bay window. The property is Edwardian - built 1912 and the bay window was tiled with those fancy thick red round clay tiles. It is to be tiled with the thinner modern fibre cement tiles. However, when stripped, the roof had no underfelt (there isn't any on the main roof (traditional slate) and does not seem to be an issue with older properties). However, now that it is being re-tiled, I would expect a breathable membrane fitted before tiling. However, I would also expect that to allow for this, the old battens would have to be taken off and the membrane fitted, then overlaid with battens and then tiled. However, the roofer has put the membrane on top of the old battens and has proceeded the tiling on top of the membrane. Furthermore, he has not fitted an under-eaves course of tiles. What is he doing? Is what he is doing okay? Is it safer to simply ignore the membrane altogether and put the tiles on to the old battens (if they are sound, which I believe they are), or should all the battens come off, a membrane fitted and then new battens fitted before the tiling commences? Many thanks .

It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:23 pm