All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

re-tapping bleed valve on radiator

Post by chris_on_tour2002 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:30 pm

hi folks,

hoping someone can help - trying to help someone out with a radiator that isn't working (full of air) and the bleed valve is stuck fast. so much so that the head of the valve plug has rounded off so it can't be turned with the key at all now. i tried cutting a groove with a dremel to get a screwdriver on it but the brass was just too soft, so now it's properly stuck.

so, two options:

1) drill out the exist plug and replace. in which case i'll most likely need to retap the hole. shot in the dark but would anybody know what size tap i'd need? a 5.5mm drill bit seems to fit snugly in the aperture if that's a help.

2) replace the radiator. only problem is that it is one of two rads that flank the front door in the entrance hall so they need to match. of course i could replace both but that will mean a whole load of work that i don't want to get into, draining down, rehashing pipework etc.

as is often the way with rads there is no clue at all as to the manufacturer. there is a serial number however - BAXB519798F - figured it could be BAXI, but it's not. even longer shot - anyone guess as to who the maker is by the serial number?? worth a try :)

one further thing, the valve plug screws directly into the body of the radiator so it isn't the type you get on most newer rads with the disc and o-ring configuration.

cheers

Dave From Leeds
Ganger
Ganger

Post by Dave From Leeds » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:04 pm

Chris, what about drilling and tapping the opposite end of the radiator and fitting a new bleed valve there? You'd then know what size of drill and tap to use based on the size of the new valve.

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by chris_on_tour2002 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:33 pm

great idea mate, wish i'd posted earlier however! i've already drilled out most of the existing bleed lug. d'oh!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:13 am