Re Wall to Ceiling Light
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
magpie09
Labourer
Labourer

Re Wall to Ceiling Light

by magpie09 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:47 pm

I only have wall lights in my lounge. I want to create a ceiling light and run the cable from one of the wall light wiring circuits (I will get rid of the wall light fitting) What type of cable should I use.Both the wall lights have their own switches.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:44 pm

Hi magpie09
If you are removing your wall lights fittings. I'd also remove the cables from the wall too that connect to these lights, for safety reasons! I'd then consider re-routing one of the wall light circuit cables to supply your ceiling light. Or find it's source and install new cable from there if run not long enough.
The cable used should be of suitable CSA. Which is establised be calculating the design current and then selecting the correct fuse/mcb rating that will operate in a safe time.
Lighting circuits in domestic property are generally 1.00mm sometimes 1.5mm of a fuse rated 5amp or mcb rated 6amp. It should all be off the the same CSA throughout that circuit unless you use a fused spur then discrimanation is a factor.
I do need to remind you, that Part P of build regulation need to be complied to when installing electrics in to domestic property. Have a look at the part p section in the project pages on this website.
If you have any doubts call an electrician
Kind Regards
KB
Last edited by kbrownie on Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

by TheDoctor4 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:30 pm

Hi

You can view the Part P project on the following URL: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/partp.htm

Cheers

magpie09
Labourer
Labourer

Re Wall to Ceiling Light

by magpie09 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:20 pm

Many thanks for your replies.Very helpful.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 6:11 pm