Re-wiring 3-Gang Switch With two two-ways and one Direct
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
fruvos
Labourer
Labourer

Re-wiring 3-Gang Switch With two two-ways and one Direct

Post by fruvos » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:28 am

I've recently tried to hook up a new outside light and noticed that the outside socket wasn't receiving power. On further inspection, it looks like it has been disconnected at the wall switch in the kitchen - as there are two wires terminated off the switch labelled 'Outside light' :)

I'd like to reconnect them, but the switch wiring is much more complicated than anything I've tackled before.

I've attached a diagram showing the wires, as well as a couple of photos just to help show it clearer. There's also a video here (https://www.dropbox.com/s/2wd6l0f6b20xb ... 7.MOV?dl=0) if somebody wants to be really helpful and go the extra mile :)

I'm not totally clear on why the neutral and earths are all just terminated together and not connected to the switch, but hopefully someone can explain that one (and tell me its safe!)

The switches are as follows;

A - Outside Light (current disconnected and/or not supplying power)
B - Two-way kitchen switch
C - Two-way dining room switch

So basically I need to (re)attached the Outside Light to the switch but have no idea where to do so.

Can anyone help, or is this a job I should be calling a qualified electrician in for?

Thanks in advance for any help/pointers!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

chriscba
Ganger
Ganger

Re: Re-wiring 3-Gang Switch With two two-ways and one Direct

Post by chriscba » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:16 pm

The blue neutral out side light cable goes with the other neutrals in the block( DO NOT CONNECT ANY NEUTRALS TO THE SWITCH) ITS A STRAIGHT FEED FROM THE CONSUMER UNIT TO THE LAMP(LOAD)

The live switch wire going to the out side light will go to L1

The earth goes to the earth block.

fruvos
Labourer
Labourer

Post by fruvos » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:07 pm

Thanks for this.

So I tried it and had no success, only to realise when I double checked that I had in fact named the switches the wrong way round in my diagram.

The light should be controlled by Switch C, not A.

How does this change the way I should wire it? Starting from the top left connector and running clockwise which number should the wire go to?

Thanks for your help with this - hopefully wiring it to L1 hasn’t fried the light or anything!

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by Mr White » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:34 pm

What chriscba has said is correct, that being the case you must have made an error, since the other switches are already being used and your diagram clearly shows the switch on the right has nothing in terminal L1 (which is where chriscba said to connect the live wire to)

You should also prove that the wire interlinking the switches (You have not named it) is infact Live all the time. It appears that it should be, but you have already admitted to making an error in your drawing. You check that it is live by the use of a multi-meter.

As an "aside" you do not connect the neutrals to the switch because you would be connecting live to neutral, which would make a short circuit, which would no doubt go bang.

fruvos
Labourer
Labourer

Post by fruvos » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:27 am

Thanks both. So to be clear, should it coonect to the L1 second from the right, or the one first on the left?

I’ll double check the wiring in the diagram today but I’m pretty sure it’s right.

When I connected it up there was power going to the outside light, but the lamp wouldn’t light no matter what position any of the switches were in.

chriscba
Ganger
Ganger

Post by chriscba » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:10 pm

This is where you need some test equipment, you'll need to check if you've got voltage going to the switch.

I could see the sketch was the wrong way round & the outside light was C.

You have said there was power going to the light, has the lamp blown in the fitting ?

'L1' looks the obvious place to put it, however if it doesn't work you could put it anywhere in that switch to see if it works.

fruvos
Labourer
Labourer

Post by fruvos » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:23 pm

Thanks for the reply.

With the switch wired a LAP voltage detector showed there was powe going to the wall socket outside. Then fitting is brand new (prior to this there was just a plastic cap in place) is unless we’ve been unlucky and the fitting was faulty at purchase then I don’t think that’s it. I’ve also checked the bulb too ;)

I’ll revisit the fitting wiring in case there’s something up there.

Failing that it sounds like I either get a multimeter and do some more testing, or give in and call in a professional.

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by Mr White » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:28 pm

..............and "a professional" will get out a muti-meter.

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:31 pm