Re-Wiring Clothes Iron Using Closed end Caps

Postby DLA23 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:41 pm

Hi
As is often the case the cable on our iron got badly twisted after a while so I decided to re-wire it. I bought some cable & then discovered that in order to remove the casing I needed to undo some triangle headed screws. So I bought me a suitable screwdriver and then later discovered the the original cable was connected to the internal wiring by way of closed end caps. So I need closed end caps but have no idea what size (for cable thickness) they should be.
There's plenty on Amazon but some are measured in mm & others in AWG.
I have the standard cable for the job but don't know which size end cap will fit.
Any suggestions?
DLA23
Progress to next rank:
50%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby Mr White » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:58 pm

The crimps (You called them "Closed end caps") should be of a size suitable for the cable AND the amount of current the appliance will draw. Too small and they will melt. You must also secure them with a ratchet crimper to ensure a secure connection.
Also as its a clothes iron you can not use "any old flex" it has to be cotton braided flex. (Anything else will mark the clothes, believe it or not)
Mr White
Progress to next rank:
48.7%

Postby DLA23 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:24 am

Mr White wrote:The crimps (You called them "Closed end caps") should be of a size suitable for the cable AND the amount of current the appliance will draw. Too small and they will melt. You must also secure them with a ratchet crimper to ensure a secure connection.
Also as its a clothes iron you can not use "any old flex" it has to be cotton braided flex. (Anything else will mark the clothes, believe it or not)

Yes, I realise that the crimps should be of suitable size & that was my question: What is a suitable size for standard, cotton braided flex?
DLA23
Progress to next rank:
50%

Postby Mr White » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:49 pm

As I am not present, I can only reply to the information you type.
There is no such thing as standard size flex, which size did you buy? or do you have a link to the place that you purchased it from?
Mr White
Progress to next rank:
48.7%

Postby DLA23 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:45 pm

Hi
Well, I went to an electrical outlet & purchased 3m of cable for an iron. It's cotton braided & I (perhaps innocently) assumed that there is a standard cable for irons. But I don't know the size of the individual wires in respect of AWG and that's what the crimps are measured for.
DLA23
Progress to next rank:
50%

Postby ericmark » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:01 am

This is a UK based forum, we today use mm squared to show cable sizes not American Wire Gauge so we really can't help. We have 0.75 mm, 1 mm, 1.5 mm, 2.5 mm, 4 mm and 6 mm cables likely you would buy 1 mm to 2.5 mm and that likely means red or blue crimps.

But if your using AWG cable I would assume your in USA and your voltage is different to ours so really you need a USA forum.
ericmark

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides

• DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!