DIY Doctor

Main navigation

re-wiring in Scotland

Postby Dan Stewart » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:21 am


I am looking at re-wiring an old detached house (3 beds). I was hoping to install all sockets and circuits myself and get a competant person to install the consumer unit. Does any one know if this is possible? or do I have to have a qualified sparky do the whole job? Are there any get around soloutions for example working with them? Any idea of costs too?

Thank you

Dan Stewart
Rank: Apprentice
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:12 am


Simply Build It

Postby kbrownie » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:33 pm

Hi Dan
The regulation in Scotland are a little different to the ones in England and Wales. I suggest it may be a good idea to call your local building controls office and ask the important question they are usually very helpful.
As far as getting around soloutions, you could consider getting a sparky on-board. Tell him you are willing to do the donkey work to cut cost, if you was willing to help with install and testing.
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 1995
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:36 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics