Really need help with some leaking pvc windows in flat
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Jordan427
Labourer
Labourer

Really need help with some leaking pvc windows in flat

Post by Jordan427 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:44 pm

Hi

I have a problem with leaking pvc windows in a flat I've just bought.

When it rains ,and in particular when the wind is blowing directly onto the windows, I'm finding there's quite a lot of water getting in. It appears to be getting in through the beading and running down to the cill where it forms a puddle. I've replaced all the seals on the windows and it hasn't done much!

I spotted today that in the external corners the black seal has shrunk considerably, up to an inch in places (see photos), would this be a strong candidate for the cause of the water ingress? I've drilled addition drain holes and the water does drain out so it's not a blocked drain.

What are those black strips called and are they easy enough to replace? If I search for just pvc window seals I just find the usual rubber ones with a gasket that I've already replaced!

Thanks a lot for any input!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Really need help with some leaking pvc windows in flat

Post by welsh brickie » Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:51 pm

it seems to me that the drainage holes have not been drilled deep enough, this is a common fault during manufacturing, If you remove the glass unit, and re drill the drainage holes ,then use a glass of water to see if the water drains away.
As for the rubber seal on the outside, simply stretch it and superglue it into position

Jordan427
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Really need help with some leaking pvc windows in flat

Post by Jordan427 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:57 pm

thanks, i've had someone in to drill extra drain holes. It's very exposed (sea front) and it leaks really bad when the wind is driving the rain directly onto the windows. i don't really know what else I can do, it's doing my head in!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:54 pm